Coaches at all levels of any sport look for their leaders and establish them early. It’s not always the best player on the team. Take the sport I live for, softball. The team leader is not always the short stop as always thought, or the pitcher/ catcher combo. It’s the best team player. The one who motivates. The one that gives it their all in every practice and then leaves it all on the field game day.
As a former coach and long-time player here is the best list of top 10 ways to become the best team player:
- Smile and have a positive attitude even when your struggling, it can have a lasting impact.
- Use encouraging words to teammates and stay a positive rallying force to keep the whole team uplifted.
- Be the one who knows each of your teammates and not just about team related stuff but is considered a friend by all of them.
- Leave it all on the field, in practice and in games.
- Be the player that can take criticism and not let it change your outlook or attitude.
- Be the one that keeps the dugout motivated.
- Gossiping and complaining do not make for a great team player.
- If the coaches are asking the team to do something a team player is always up for doing what it takes to make themselves and their teammates better.
- Keep learning about the game and how your team can improve individually and as a team and then share that information.
- Have a role model that shares your same outlook on the game from the mental side and you will surely become a positive, well liked and turned to team player.
If you apply these tips to the mental side of your game, I can say that your game on the field will improve as well. A positive attitude and great outlook no matter what the circumstance will not only benefit you as a softball player but it will also benefit you in life.